Associate Professor / Professor and Head of Department of Early Childhood Education
Department of early childhood education
Associate professor / professor and head of the department (one post)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- The strategic, academic and operational management of the Department
- Promoting the Department’s research profile
- Ensuring scholarly academic and professional education and training
- Playing an active role as academic leader of the discipline at national and international levels
- Support the teaching and learning portfolio of the Faculty through promoting the use of technology
- Fundraising departmental activities.
- Relevant undergraduate degree in Early Childhood development, and/or Foundation phase or Pre-primary Education (B Ed (ECD), B Ed (Foundation phase), B Ed HED Pre-Primary Education, BA and relevant teaching qualification)
- A relevant doctoral degree
- Appointable at an Associate Professor level
- Academic status and international recognition in the relevant discipline
- Publications in a field relevant to the Department
- Undergraduate teaching experience.
Required competencies (skills, knowledge and behavioural attributes)
- Managerial skills and competencies in a tertiary environment
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Appropriate language and communication skills
- Diversity management skills
- International networks
- Proven leadership at pre-primary school level
- Membership of national and international organisations relevant to the Department
- The ability to lead research and teacher training programmes
Added advantages and preferences
- NRF rating
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV
- Certified copies of qualifications
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research)
- Teaching portfolio
- Your vision for the Department.
Candidates are expected to make a 10-minute verbal (no technology) presentation to the Faculty Recruitment and Selection Committee on his / her vision for the Department , By applying, candidates agree to the appointment process as set out in the relevant UP policy document. This process can be accessed at http://www.up.ac.za/services/personnel/policies/w113E.doc.
Although candidates will be appointed permanently as Professor or Associate Professor, the headship is a fixed-term appointment of four years. Preference will be given to the incumbent for re-appointment for a second term.
Closing date: 21 August 2018
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Prof CT Sehoole, Tel: (012) 420 2327
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 October 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful. The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups. All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials. The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.