Manager: Legal Services - Office of the Registrar
MANAGER: LEGAL SERVICES
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 5
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The University of Pretoria is one of the leading research universities in South Africa and a university of choice for South Africa’s academic talent. Reporting to the Registrar, the Head: Legal Services will be required to provide the University with cost-effective quality support in respect of student discipline and legal services. This will include extensive knowledge of and experience in the following:
- Contract law
- Administrative law
- Law of delict
- Intellectual property law
- All aspects of the law applicable to higher-education institutions
- Law on alternative dispute resolution
- Law of evidence.
- Admission as attorney or advocate
A minimum of eight years’ experience which includes a combination of the following:
- Experience in a legal practice or an environment in which high-level legal advice is given and legal risks are managed, as well as assumption of responsibility for the legal outcomes of legal processes
- Knowledge in drafting of legal documents
- Experience in disciplinary processes
- A minimum of five years’ management experience in a legal environment.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Good interpersonal relations and communication skills
- Conflict management and negotiation skills
- Must be able to work under pressure
- Must be thorough and precise
- Understanding the business implications of legal decisions
- Sensitivity to the diverse composition and culture of the student community, academics and support services
- Ability to make difficult and sometimes unpopular decisions and to manage the consequences
- Ability to act independently and with insight in matters concerning settlement of disputes and adjudication
- Computer skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES
- An appropriate Master’s degree
- Experience in university administrative systems and functionality
- Relevant experience in the field of counselling and student support.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process. The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach: A comprehensive CV; Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 29 August 2018, No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Busi Khumalo, Tel: (012) 420 4134, or Ms Letticia Jooste, Tel: (012) 420 6921.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 October 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful. The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups. All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials. The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.