Public Affairs Manager
The postholder will support the Head of Public Affairs and Stakeholder Relations with operationalising corporate public affairs strategies through activities such as policy analysis and communication, project management, and the development and implementation of stakeholder engagement strategies. The postholder will advise colleagues on policies that have a corporate impact on the institution such as HE policy, Brexit, industrial strategy, international affairs, and regional affairs, with a particular focus on supporting the development of compelling, influential messaging and stakeholder engagement. The post holder will play a central role in co-ordinating activities and will drive the dissemination and gathering of intelligence within the institution.
A diplomat and an outstanding communicator the post-holder will provide expert public affairs advice to colleagues across the University and establish a strong network of internal and external partners to enable the University to build strong, well informed and committed relationships with politicians and their influencers regionally and nationally.
- Degree-level education or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of public affairs or policy environment, including an in-depth understanding of the working of local and national government.
- Experience of and sensitivity to the constraints of working in a confidential environment and dealing at first hand with senior management, VIPs and influential individuals, including understanding the appropriate protocol.
- Demonstrable experience of building, developing and maintaining valuable networks with external organisations, and stakeholder mapping.
- Experience of devising and delivering multi-channel communications plans for a range of stakeholder audiences.
- Knowledge of and interest in the political environment.
- Knowledge of and interest in the Higher Education sector and the issues it currently faces.
- Excellent written skills and the ability to appropriately adapt writing style to a range of purposes and audiences.
- Personal presence and excellent presentational skills.
- Experience of working in a large, complex organisation.
- Project and event management experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a ‘can-do' attitude with an ability to bring people together to work towards a common goal.
- Well-developed administrative and organisational skills with a proven ability to pay attention to detail.
- Tenacious, with a creative and innovative approach to problem solving.
- Computer literate, confident and competent in the use of database systems and electronic communication.
- Demonstrable project and budget management skills, and an ability to work with initiative to find creative solutions, to work under pressure, and manage multiple workloads simultaneously.
- A team player but someone who can also work independently.
- The role will require some off-campus working, UK and potentially international travel, including occasions when it is necessary to work away from home and/or outside of standard office hours.