Senior Laboratory Helper: Poultry Section - Faculty of Veterinary Science
DEPARTMENT OF PRODUCTION ANIMAL STUDIES
SENIOR LABORATORY HELPER: POULTRY SECTION, PEROMNES POST LEVEL 15
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
- The incumbent will be responsible for:
- The cleaning and disinfecting of cages and of the post mortem area
- The feeding and handling of poultry (ostriches included)
- Assisting with sampling procedures
- The humane euthanasia of poultry
- Assisting with post mortems
- Removing carcasses
- Collecting/delivering goods
- Performing shift/weekend duty/out of hours availability.
- Grade 12;
- Driver's license
- Two years of experience in poultry industry
- Six months' experience in blood sampling of poultry
- Computer literacy (MS Word and Excel)
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES)
- Knowledge of the cleaning and sterilisation of laboratory equipment
- Physically able to lift and carry heavy containers
- Ability to perform courier work
- Clerical and administrative skills
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process. The total remuneration package for this position ranges from approximately R 168 885 to R 184 245 as determined by UP policy guidelines. (These amounts include the University's contributions to standard UP benefits, namely provident fund, group life and funeral cover, but exclude contributions to medical aid, as the latter varies per employee.) UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium. Applicants are requested to apply online.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 26 September 2018
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Dr Buks Wandrag, Tel: (012) 529 8091, Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 November 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful. The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups. All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials. The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.