Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor (One post) - Department of Physiotherapy
DEPARTMENT OF PHYSIOTHERAPY
LECTURER / SENIOR LECTURER / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR (ONE POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite suitably qualified applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development. , The Department of Physiotherapy at the University of Pretoria's Faculty of Health Sciences recognises that lifestyle intervention (including safe participation in physical activity) is a key component in the prevention and management of non-communicable diseases (NCDs). The Department wishes to equip physiotherapists in combatting NCDs by developing an active research focus in this area, as well as growing teaching and learning programmes at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in Physiotherapy with special focus on general surgery, medical and surgical chests conditions, exercise and sports physiotherapy, including chronic disease rehabilitation;
- The clinical accompaniment of students in clinical blocks for medical and surgical chest conditions at the various hospitals and clinics, and in exercise and sports physiotherapy, including chronic disease rehabilitation;
- Supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate research;
- Conducting own research and contributing to the Department's research profile;
- Facilitating research and clinical collaboration with the newly established Sport, Exercise Medicine and Lifestyle Institute (SEMLI) at the University of Pretoria;
- Developing of a postgraduate Exercise and Sport Physiotherapy clinical training and research programme;
- Promoting good academic education and professional training;
- Fundraising for departmental research activities.
- A master's degree in Physiotherapy (preferably in Exercise and Sports Physiotherapy);
- At least one published journal article (not abstract or dissertation) in a journal accredited by the RSA Department of Higher Education;
- Registration with the HPCSA as a Physiotherapist;
- Some experience in clinical supervision of students;
- A valid driver's licence.
Senior Lecturer (same as for Lecturer, plus):
- A PhD in Physiotherapy (preferably in Exercise and Sports Physiotherapy);
- At least three published journal articles, (not abstract or dissertation) in a journal accredited by the RSA Department of Higher Education;
- At least three years' experience in teaching at an academic institution in (preferably including Exercise and Sports Physiotherapy);, Evidence of experience in clinical supervision of students.
Associate Professor (same as for Senior Lecturer, plus):
- At least 12 accredited publication (not abstract or dissertation) in a journal accredited by the RSA Department of Higher Education (with at least half in ISI journals);
- At least five years' experience in teaching at an academic institution (preferably including Exercise and Sports Physiotherapy).
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES)
- Proven academic capabilities (training, research, service and community engagement);
- Academic status and national recognition in the relevant speciality area;
- An appropriate vision for research in the Department;, Strong leadership and communication skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Postgraduate supervision experience at a tertiary institution;
- A good research record in one of the Department's research specialisation fields;
- Training in postgraduate supervision
- Experience with internal and external stakeholders and professional boards;
- Experience in research fundraising (grants).
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent's level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:, A comprehensive CV, strictly in UP CV format;, Certified copies of qualifications;, Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;, Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);, A letter of motivation for the application in line with minimum requirements and including self-evaluation.
CLOSING DATE: 24 October 2018, No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof DJ Mothabeng, Tel: (012) 356 3233
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 January 2019, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful. The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity., In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups., All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials., The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.