Officer, Professional Services, Physics
Officer: Professional Services (post level 11)
Job ID: 2522
Duties and responsibilities:
- Run solid state laboratories in the department, support lecturers and students with research, repair apparatus and order supplies.
- Support lecturers with postgraduate practical and maintain the practical apparatus and laboratories.
- Run the undergraduate practical and maintain practical apparatus and laboratories.
- Participate in the community service activities of the department.
- Take inventory and order suppliers.
- Contribute to the general activities and administrative organisation of the department.
- BSc Honours in Physics (e.g. Solid State).
- A good academic record.
- Experience in running practical laboratories.
- Experience in working with XRD, AES, SAM and thin films.
- The ability to do research quality experimental measurements.
- The ability to work with luminescent materials, thin films and synthesising and characterisation.
- Well-founded knowledge on XRD, AES, XPS, SAM and thin films.
- Well-founded knowledge on running practical knowledge.
- The ability to give work with students.
- Business acumen.
- Result orientated.
- Building coalitions.
- M.Sc. in Physics (e.g. Solid State).
Assumption of duties:
As soon as possible
19 October 2018
The salary scale is available on request. For any further enquiries, please feel free to contact 051 401 2808/9962/3934/2010.
(Subject to specific conditions): pension scheme, medical aid scheme, group life insurance, housing allowance, leave and sick leave, service bonus and study benefits.
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department/division.
Applications may only be submitted online. All applications must be accompanied by the following:
- a detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter (please note that the first three (3) referees on your CV will be contacted with regard to reference checking);
- certified copies (not older than 3 months) of all academic records;
- certified copies (not older than 3 months) of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications);
- a certified copy (not older than 3 months) of your identity document (ID).
Applications that are incomplete or sent by fax or e-mail, will not be considered. The UFS will only consider applications of candidates who meet all the inherent requirements of the position. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.