Subject Specialist, Unit for Language Development
Unit for Language Development
Job ID: 2525
Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide assistance with strategic planning within the field of academic literacy and language development, including the integration of technology in literacy teaching methodology.
- Provide leadership (academic and administrative) towards the implementation of various ULD initiatives and projects at the UFS.
- Coordinate referrals of academic staff and student grievances and counselling.
- Coordinate and communicate with the sub-divisions within the Unit: academic literacy, the Write Site and research.
- Manage Human Resources within the Unit and improving capacity of staff; including recruitment and appointment of staff.
- Support staff members within the Unit with strategic managerial I operational matters regarding new initiatives or problem areas experienced regarding their responsibilities.
- Provide and manage an annual budget allocated to the Unit.
- Liaise and communicate with role players within the university(academic departments/support services/students) as well as the broader higher education (national and international) environment.
- Conduct research, analyse and interpret national and international curriculum innovation and delivery trends in order to contribute effectively to the strategic development of academic literacy and language development at the UFS.
- Publish research articles in accredited journals.
- Write reports related to activities in the Unit.
- Master's Degree in Academic Literacy, Linguistics, Applied Linguistics or TESOL.
- Four (4) to five (5) years' experience in higher education with activities related to academic literacy and language development.
- Management experience in Higher Education.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to function with ease in the University's richly diverse working environment.
- Intermediate computer skills (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to function with ease in the University's rich diverse environment.
- Highly organised, work well under pressure and have a collaborative style, especially suited to work with academic staff.
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently.
- Ability to provide mentoring and supervision within a broader collaborative environment.
- Accept responsibility and show good judgement, initiative and resourcefulness.
- Willing to enrol for a PhD, if not obtained by the time of appointment.
Assumption of duties:
01 December 2018
26 October 2018
The salary scale is available on request. For any further enquiries, please feel free to contact 051 401 3687/9161.
(Subject to specific conditions): pension scheme, medical aid scheme, group life insurance, housing allowance, leave and sick leave, service bonus and study benefits.
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department/division.
Applications may only be submitted online. All applications must be accompanied by the following:
- a detailed curriculum vitae (please note that the first three (3) referees on your CV will be contacted with regard to reference checking);
- certified copies (not older than 3 months) of all academic records;
- certified copies (not older than 3 months) of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications);
- a certified copy (not older than 3 months) of your identity document (ID).
The UFS will only consider applications of candidates who meet all the inherent requirements of the position. Applications that are incomplete, or sent by fax or e-mail, will not be considered. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.