Lecturer - School of Social Sciences and Language Education
4 days left
- Full Time
School of Social Sciences and Language Education
Job ID: 2553
Duties and responsibilities:
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate modules in Geography Education, History Education and/or Social Sciences Education.
- Participate in the work integrated learning programme (teaching practice).
- Ensure active involvement in research activities.
- Contribute to curriculum development in the field of Geography, History and/or Social Sciences Education.
- Provide consultation sessions for students.
- Work in a team with colleagues within the Faculty.
- Contribute to academic coordination and perform administrative tasks related to teaching practice.
- A relevant Master's degree with specialisation in the teaching and learning of Geography Education, History Education and Social Sciences Education.
- Proven experience in the delivery of poster or oral presentations at academic conferences or equivalent activities.
- Provide evidence of manuscripts produced that have the potential to be converted or submitted for publication in an accredited journal.
- One (1) year teaching experience in a post-school education environment or in teacher education.
- A good academic record.
- Teaching experience in Geography Education, History Education and/ or Social Sciences Education.
- Knowledge of- and the ability to use Learning Management Systems (LMS) for teaching and assessment.
- Familiarity with inclusive pedagogic practices and alternative assessment strategies.
- Good research skills and writing abilities.
- Sound interpersonal relationship skills.
- Good computer literacy skills.
- A relevant Doctoral degree in Geography Education, History Education and/or Social Sciences Education.
- Proven research record of relevant publications in the national and/or international accredited journals.
- Experience of teaching undergraduate modules in a higher education environment.
- Evidence of previous involvement in engaged scholarship
- Experience in postgraduate supervision.
Assumption of duties:
As soon as possible.
16 November 2018.
The salary scale is available on request. For any further enquiries, please feel free to contact 051 401 3687/ 9161/ 3592/ 3221.
(Subject to specific conditions): pension scheme, medical aid scheme, group life insurance, housing allowance, leave and sick leave, service bonus and study benefits.
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific school/division.
Applications may only be submitted online. All applications must be accompanied by the following:
- Detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter, outlining pertinent qualifications and experience (please note that the first three (3) referees on your CV will be contacted with regard to reference checking);
- Certified copies (not older than 3 months) of all academic records.
- Certified copies (not older than 3 months) of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications); and
- Certified copy (not older than 3 months) of your identity document (ID).
The UFS will only consider applications of candidates who meet all the inherent requirements of the position. Applications that are incomplete, or sent by fax or e-mail, will not be considered. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.