Research Fellow - Macmillan Survivorship Research Group
Nursing, Midwifery and Health
Location: Highfield Campus
Salary: £30,395 to £37,345 pro rata, per annum
Full Time - Fixed Term for 1 Year. Job share/part time working considered
Closing Date: Tuesday 04 December 2018
Interview Date: To be confirmed
The Macmillan Survivorship Research Group (MSRG) http://www.southampton.ac.uk/msrg, School of Health Sciences, is seeking an outstanding individual to join the MSRG programme of research and associated projects in the field of cancer survivorship. Working with Professor Claire Foster (Director of MSRG), the Deputy Director and the team, the post holder will contribute to a wide variety of research-related activities, including literature reviewing, data analysis and dissemination, across a number of cohort studies with cancer survivors.
The post-holder will be responsible for maintaining high quality research procedures and will work as part of the team responsible for delivering a nested qualitative study and aspects of the cohort study including setting up and monitoring appropriate databases for recruitment, data collection and data processing. As part of this work, they will liaise with recruiting sites throughout the UK. Proficiency in literature reviewing, data analysis (quantitative and qualitative) and interpretation are essential skills for this role. The post holder will have strong report and paper writing skills and be able to present findings at local, national and international conferences. They will be required to support the development of new protocols and supporting ethics and research governance applications.
The successful candidates will have a PhD* or equivalent professional qualifications and experience in Cancer Care/Nursing /Health Services Research/related Health or Social Science subjects and have
- Demonstrable qualitative research skills, including interviewing and analysis experience
- Experience of working with multiple clinical centres building and maintaining relationships with clinical and research staff
- Proven ability to organise a range of high quality research activities to deadline and quality standards
- Excellent communication and paper writing skills with a track record of published research
- Track record of presenting to both specialist and non-specialist audiences including at local, national and international conference
- Knowledge and understanding of cancer survivorship (desirable)
- Experience of managing large data sets and the ability to work with a statistician in quantitative analysis
- An understanding of GCP and research governance requirements to ensure safety of patient data.
You will need to work effectively with members of the MSRG team including researchers, programme manager, trial coordinator, administrative, database management and web development staff. You will also need to work effectively with partners and members of the public/service users to develop, deliver and disseminate the work of the research programme.
Situated within one of the UK's leading research Universities, the School of Health Sciences offers superb facilities for research and education and is one of the largest and most successful Schools of its kind in the UK. With world-class academic staff committed to transforming health services and improving health outcomes, we are committed to building on our national and international education and research reputation.
The post is offered full-time for 1 year in the first instance. The possibility of a job share/part time working will be considered.
Please note this role may not support a certificate of sponsorship (for candidates requiring a visa to work in the UK), if taken on in a part time capacity.
A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for this role.
Please note we are currently advertising for two roles - - both require experience of qualitative and quantitative research methods. This role has more focus on qualitative research - for information you may wish to look at our other post https://jobs.soton.ac.uk/1074418CF
You should submit your completed application form online. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Geraldine Lewis (Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 3462. Please quote reference 1074518CF on all correspondence.
*Applications for Research Fellow positions will be considered from candidates who are working towards or nearing completion of a relevant PhD qualification. The title of Research Fellow will be applied upon successful completion of the PhD. Prior to the qualification being awarded the title of Senior Research Assistant will be given.
More searches like this
- Business and Finance Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Computer Science and IT Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Nursing Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom